I have a question about my English Language & Usage Stack Exchange post: What is it called to use random error as evidence?

Why was this ever marked duplicate? Why not just migrate?


1 Answer 1


I sympathize with your dilemma, but please note that our site is user-moderated for the most part. Your question on the main has a couple of issues.

  1. It is unclear to the average user on EL&U. (hence the "incoherent" answers)
  2. It is too localized for our site and probably not suitable.
  3. 3K users cannot vote to migrate except to English Learners.SE , or EL&U meta.
  4. Only diamond mods can migrate Qs to sites other than those already cited

All of that takes time. Patience is recommended.

  • Your title invited the closure. I suggest that you re-title the Q and opt for re-open (difficult), or rephrase for a new Q. Dec 30, 2020 at 20:10
  • 'What is a word for deliberate dismissal of some facts?' seemed to be exactly what your title was trying to put across. Your body question was 'What is this called, when I only publish good [I'm reading this as 'favourable'] results ...?' Seems identical. Then there's the fact that 'cherry-picking' appears in both, attracting multiple votes. // From the accepted answer though, it appears that migration to the technical site is best. 'Cherry-picking' is standard English; 'p-value hacking' is not. Dec 31, 2020 at 17:44
  • @EdwinAshworth Was this comment intended for the OP? Looks like they deleted their comments, so I got pinged... Dec 31, 2020 at 19:11

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .