I'm looking for a tag that can be applied to questions about letters/characters (such as How did the names of the letters in the English language come about, or Why do capital I's and small l's look the same with some fonts?)? Not sure if there is one already out there and I haven't seen it, or if it doesn't exist?

New contributor
william fakespeare is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

If you go to https://english.stackexchange.com/tags you can search for tags.

Tags currently existing which include the string letter are , and .

We do actually have a question Where did the names of English letters come from, and why are they all monosyllabic (except for "w")? which is treated as a duplicate of Pronunciation of the English alphabet.

Your question about the similarity of I and l in certain typefaces is not restricted to English and is off-topic. It might be on-topic on Graphic Design, but it's probably opinion-based.

  • weird.... there's no font tag. – Mitch 2 days ago
  • 3
    @Mitch That's because fonts are not part of the English language. – Andrew Leach 2 days ago
  • Sure, but spelling and punctuation are not part of the English language either. Yes, I know that is disingenuous, and also font questions should go to Graphic Design but there are totally on-topic questions on ELU about handwriting and strange symbols and shorthand and such, so it is plausible that font questions might at one time have appeared here. – Mitch 2 days ago

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .