Does that mean we are not doing a good job in closing questions that do not suit EL&U or that are duplicate of other existing questions?
I am going to dodge that question and answer the question in your title instead:
Are we not doing a good job in closing questions that should not suit EL&U?
I would actually claim that we are NOT doing a good job closing questions. We are doing much, much better now than we were when I first arrived at EL&U but I personally think we, as a community, are approaching the topic of closing incorrectly.
This has nothing in particular to do with the mods or any specific users or anything like that. In my opinion, which I acknowledge as being significantly more close-happy than most, is that we the community are letting too much subpar material through. This goes for Questions, Answers and Comments.
I have created a few Meta topics on the subject when I felt it was necessary or appropriate. If you are curious about specifics you can check my meta history for hints. I don't feel that this is the time to deal with particulars as I suspect people are pretty sensitive right now and, honestly, the details don't matter right now.
This answer is most certainly NOT meant to be jumping into the fray so as to spray my opinion all over everyone. It is my opinion but it isn't a very emotive opinion. It is just a simple, "We could be doing better." Unfortunately, being honest about this right now feels like kicking the dog. So here it is in bullet form, which hopefully makes this the least dramatic possible:
- In my opinion, we should be closing, editing, revising or deleting significantly more questions, answers and comments
- I have absolutely no qualms with how the community as a whole acts or how we have approached any particular topic regarding topicality or closing, editing, revising or deleting
- I have nothing against any of our moderators and I regard them all with the highest respect
- I have never considered any action or inaction of the moderators as evidence of poor judgement or an inability to perform their tasks
- I appreciate every single edit, close vote or explained downvote that I see from every user that offers it (even if I disagree with it)
- I appreciate all of the participation in any meta discussion on how to make the site better
- EL&U is far better off now regarding closing, editing, revising and deleting than it was when I first joined — this means we are doing a good job at getting better
- I consider the community very respectful and, with only a few exceptions, am proud of how we treat each other
Hope that helps.