I found a bunch of questions about these grammatical formulations:
- "Why don't we close these duplicates?" (Negated question using a contraction)
- "Why do we not close these duplicates?" (Negated question using full form, where not moves past the subject)
- "Why do not we not close these duplicates?" (Negated question using full form, where not stays in place; considered archaic or ungrammatical by most people)
Not all the questions cover all 3 forms, but many do. Not all the questions have great titles either but that can be fixed.
- Expanding a contraction, where the expansion is not as it would seem
- My current canonical John Lawler answer. I chose it because I found it first, but I'm not sure if it's the best duplicate target
- Can you say "are not we all?" instead of "aren't we all?"
- Another John Lawler answer.
- Is "Don't you know? " the same as "Do not you know?"?
- I like the link in the answer two answers down, but not so much the other answers
- "Do you not" vs. "Don't you"
- Short and sweet and probably easier to understand for most people
- Why do not we ask negative questions without a contraction on the not after the verb?
- I like the answers on this, though they are pretty unfocused. The top answer talks about the history. The second answer is yet another John Lawler answer and one I like better than the other two JL answers
- Is "aren't you too old to be..." proper grammar?
- Everything downvoted. Has useful links in the comments
- Why does "Why doesn't it work?" become "Why does it not work?"
- Sven Yargs points out that some people do say "Why does not..."
- not or n't - word order in negative questions
- Why can I contract *across* a word, skipping the word in the middle?
- Shouldn't vs should not usage
- Why is "Why don't you like ___?" okay, but "Why do not you like?" ___?" isn't?"
- Is this the right way to use "wouldn't"?
- How might one rewrite interrogative sentences with contractions, such as "Why can't we ... ", more elegantly?
- Tag Questions "is he not"
- About tag questions
- Using abbreviations incorrectly?
- Tag questions!
- Using "aren't they"?
- Closed as GR, downvoted answer. About tag questions
- "Is it not raining" vs. "Isn't it raining"?
- Closed as a duplicate, but is not about tag questions!
- What is the correct usage of contractions like "isn't" and "wasn't"?
- Closed as a duplicate of a more generic contraction question
- Do you have to change the order of the words when not using an apostrophe?
- Brand new question I closed as duplicate
- is "weren't you..." considered grammatically correct? Because expanded, it would translate to "were not you..."
- Older Q I closed as a dupe
- "Isn't that..." expanding to "Is not that..."
- Older Q I closed as a dupe
Differences in the correct forms
I don't remember if any of the questions above really explained the difference between the two correct forms, as opposed to just saying that they're both correct, so I put these in their own section.
- Negative contractions in a question
- This doesn't ask about the ungrammatical third form. Does it need to be closed as a duplicate? Maybe, maybe not. I think it could use a stronger answer
- Is it mandatory to use contractions in tag questions and the like?
- This is about tag questions, and also doesn't ask about the ungrammatical third form.
As I read more questions, it made sense to break this out into its own category. These questions aren't duplicates of any of the ones above. The answers are quite different between them so I'm not sure if it's useful to close all of them even as duplicates of each other. I think the questions could be polished a little though (weak titles).
- Was "Do not you want to know..." correct 200 years ago, and is now incorrect?
- negating contractions in Jane Austen
- Is it incorrect to say, "Why cannot....?"
- What is the origin of situations in which you cannot expand a contraction?
- What are the best canonicals in the "Usage" section?
- Should any of the history questions be closed as duplicates?
- What tags are best? I've been using word-orderquestionsnegationcontractionscontraction-vs-full-form. For tag-questions, I guess I would replace questions. (I may or may not retag many of these questions. But it seems appropriate to do so if I'm bumping with a reopen/reclose anyway.)
- Bonus: Does ELL have a canonical we can link to as well? (I may have to redo my searches there...)
Let's reach an agreement before closing or reopening any of these questions. I can do it easily myself with my unlimited well of mod closing powers.