A recent question used the reason-why tag for what was really an etymology question, so I retagged it appropriately. (Or at least I think it was appropriate.) Now I'm wondering what the tag is even for. It currently has no usage guidance.
It's got 25 questions under it, of which the five oldest are about the construction "reason why" itself.
Then, there a few other questions under that tag that are rather etymological in nature (Why is it specifically a "rainy day" (rather than some other metaphor) when you need extra money? and Why do we refer to car manufacturer as 'Make'?).
Some of the other questions there ask for explanations of linguistic/dialectal phenomena.
The rest of them seem to be random taggings.
I'd like to know:
- What should we be using this tag for?
- What should its wiki say?
- Should it be used in conjunction with etymology/phrase-origin?
I have two questions that I think could go under that tag, but I'm waiting to see what the community thinks about the tag's use:
- Where does the subcontinental usage of 'one' to mean 'named' come from?
- Why do we order our adjectives in certain ways: "big, blue house" rather than "blue, big house"?
Are these and their ilk to be tagged under reason-why?