Just like you can upvote a question or answer and then undo that, can this be possible for comments as well? It would be nice to be able to retract a marked comment.

  • 5
    +1 Believe it or not, I have sometimes accidentally marked a comment. I know everyone's going to say such could be avoided by being more careful, but I see no point in forcing the issue. We have a 5-min grace period with post-votes, don't we?
    – Daniel
    Commented Oct 13, 2011 at 23:13
  • 3
    This is a request for unmarking comments made from the user Mark. I guess the user Unmark would make a request to mark a comment for a specific reason. ;-)
    – apaderno
    Commented Oct 23, 2011 at 22:02

2 Answers 2


This was asked on Meta.SO and has a score of 233, and the five answers all support it (with a combined score of 342) along with all the comments, but still the feature request was declined for unknown reasons.

  • This answer ont he meta.SO thread clarifies things. You can now un-upvote a comment if you do it within a minute. Commented Aug 18, 2012 at 21:44

As noted in meta.stackoverflow (in an answer to the question Hugo mentioned) an un-upvote-comment feature (to retract or revert an upvote on a comment) was added in April, 2012.

Some restrictions apply: Your upvote is locked in if you navigate away from the page with the comment, or if 60 seconds go by. You can upvote a comment at most once.

  • 1
    Feel free to mark this comment, if you'd like, and then unmark it within 60 seconds. (I'm pretty sure some will want to test this).
    – J.R.
    Commented Aug 18, 2012 at 12:25
  • Wow! Your hypnotically mesmerising comment is even more compulsive than the big red button! (which I've successfully resisted pressing for nearly two minutes now! :) Sadly though, it seems I'll never be able to upvote your comment again in future, having just "un-upvoted" it once as a test. Commented Aug 18, 2012 at 16:42

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .