Questions when to use hyphens are still questions about hyphens, and I don't see any need to distinguish between questions about hyphens, and questions about using them.
I expect that most of the questions about hyphens (if not all the questions) are about its usage; I find difficult somebody asks "Is this an hyphen?" or "When was an hyphen first used?"
Here’s how I see it:
The hyphen tag should be used for questions regarding the punctuation mark.
The hyphenation tag should be used for questions regarding where and whether something should be hyphenated.
These are actually different, different just as:
- question-mark is different from questions.
- period is different from sentences.
- exclamation-point is different from exclamations.
- quotation-marks is different from quotations.
- apostrophe is different from possessive, and from contractions.