I asked a question earlier,
Did Einstein really say, "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."?
In the comments it was suggested that this question of off-topic because it is about the origins of a phrase, not about the English language. Since I first started writing this meta post, my question has been closed.
Being a long-time StackExchange user, I did read the FAQ and meta for this site before I posted my question, and found:
- There is nothing in the charter which disallows questions asking if one specific person said one specific thing,
- Asking about the origins of a single word is specifically allowed
- It was previously established in meta that asking a questions "Who said X first?" is not on-topic, but that's not what I'm asking here.
So, I ask:
- Are questions of the form "Did (Person X) say (Phrase Y)?" on-topic?
- If not, why not, and has this been previously established for this site?