Are there best-practices for posting a follow-on question?
I am new to ELU. I have searched ELU meta for this subject and have not yet found any information.
From my novice vantage, here are some considerations -- perhaps reasonable -- for posting a follow-on question:
- Post a clarification or minor follow-on question as a comment to a particular proposed answer.
- Open a completely new, separate question having its own thread if an answer is required -- even if the original question thread has not been answered and closed.
- Include inline links to and from an original question thread and separate, related questions threads.
- Do the previous considerations make sense?
- Where should the question's original "owner" post a follow-on question if it neither is in response to somebody else's proposed answer nor requires a new, separate question thread? Should the owner edit the original question?