This morning I had my question closed and, upon browsing through the answers to the proposed duplicate, I did find half of an answer to my question.
This leads me to wonder about some things:
- Is it frowned upon within the ELU community to ask a question that is similar to a previous one?
- Is there anything wrong with asking a question that has been asked before in the hope of better quality answers or answers from different viewpoints?
- Should I, as an enthusiastic user, feel dejected or guilty?
- Are there any negative effects from having a question closed as a duplicate? Does it affect your respect in the community?
- Why are questions allowed to be marked as a duplicate immediately? Should there not be a grace period in which there's a chance for new, more informative answers than those of the "duplicate"?
Please note that my points are nothing more than small concerns; I do not object to the closure of my question.
The main reason I am asking this is because as a frequent user of the site, I feel that I should be as familiar with it as possible.
I thoroughly enjoy answering and editing questions asked on ELU and I have even gotten many helpful answers myself.