I'm a second-language speaker of what I believe is a fairly "neutral" flavour of English (if such a thing exists), mainly influenced by British and American varieties. I tend to prefer British spellings but I'm afraid I sound more American when I talk. :-)
I take an interest in languages, their evolution and history, and all those subtle variations between different dialects and registers. After secondary school I was actually close to going to study English Philology at university, but ended up taking Computer Science instead. Now I am a software developer by profession, and languages remain mainly a hobby for me. (Not only a hobby, as I think good prose writing skills are important in my field. For the last 10 years or so English has been the main written language I've used at work.)
Besides English and my native Finnish, I'm nowadays quite adept at Spanish too (it's my favourite language in a way, especially if spoken with a Cuban accent and when drunk). My Swedish and German are rusty, but re-learnable if need arises.
Member for 9 years, 8 months
23 profile views
Last seen Sep 12 '16 at 8:49
- Stack Overflow 69.1k 69.1k 6262 gold badges231231 silver badges342342 bronze badges
- Travel 12.3k 12.3k 1414 gold badges6161 silver badges106106 bronze badges
- Ask Ubuntu 6.1k 6.1k 1111 gold badges3131 silver badges4343 bronze badges
- Super User 5.4k 5.4k 1010 gold badges4141 silver badges5555 bronze badges
- Ask Different 5.3k 5.3k 1010 gold badges4848 silver badges7575 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 521 Can you find all classes in a package using reflection?
- 441 How can I initialise a static Map?
- 381 How to respond with HTTP 400 error in a Spring MVC @ResponseBody method returning String?
- 283 How can I download an entire website?
- 229 Best way to create an empty map in Java
- 223 How to combine two images into one on a Mac?
- 165 "Couldn't resolve resource" in Android Studio's Preview
- View more network posts →