Member for 11 years, 1 month
I'm a second-language speaker of what I believe is a fairly "neutral" flavour of English (if such a thing exists), mainly influenced by British and American varieties. I tend to prefer British spellings but I'm afraid I sound more American when I talk. :-)
I take an interest in languages, their evolution and history, and all those subtle variations between different dialects and registers. After secondary school I was actually close to going to study English Philology at university, but ended up taking Computer Science instead. Now I am a software developer by profession, and languages remain mainly a hobby for me. (Not only a hobby, as I think good prose writing skills are important in my field. For the last 10 years or so English has been the main written language I've used at work.)
Besides English and my native Finnish, I'm nowadays quite adept at Spanish too (it's my favourite language in a way, especially if spoken with a Cuban accent). My Swedish and German are rusty, but re-learnable if need arises.
- Stack Overflow 75.4k 75.4k 6767 gold badges250250 silver badges358358 bronze badges
- Travel 12.4k 12.4k 1414 gold badges6363 silver badges108108 bronze badges
- Ask Ubuntu 6.6k 6.6k 1212 gold badges3333 silver badges4444 bronze badges
- Ask Different 5.9k 5.9k 1010 gold badges5151 silver badges7676 bronze badges
- Super User 5.6k 5.6k 1111 gold badges4343 silver badges5555 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 587 Can you find all classes in a package using reflection?
- 464 How can I initialise a static Map?
- 427 How to respond with HTTP 400 error in a Spring MVC @ResponseBody method returning String?
- 313 How can I download an entire website?
- 279 How to combine two images into one on a Mac?
- 276 Best way to create an empty map in Java
- 175 How to simplify a null-safe compareTo() implementation?
- View more network posts →