I'm a second-language speaker of what I believe is a fairly "neutral" flavour of English (if such a thing exists), mainly influenced by British and American varieties. I tend to prefer British spellings but I'm afraid I sound more American when I talk. :-)
I take an interest in languages, their evolution and history, and all those subtle variations between different dialects and registers. After secondary school I was actually close to going to study English Philology at university, but ended up taking Computer Science instead. Now I am a software developer by profession, and languages remain mainly a hobby for me. (Not only a hobby, as I think good prose writing skills are important in my field. For the last 10 years or so English has been the main written language I've used at work.)
Besides English and my native Finnish, I'm nowadays quite adept at Spanish too (it's my favourite language in a way, especially if spoken with a Cuban accent). My Swedish and German are rusty, but re-learnable if need arises.
Member for 10 years, 8 months
23 profile views
Last seen Sep 12 '16 at 8:49
- Stack Overflow 73.9k 73.9k 6565 gold badges249249 silver badges353353 bronze badges
- Travel 12.3k 12.3k 1414 gold badges6262 silver badges107107 bronze badges
- Ask Ubuntu 6.5k 6.5k 1212 gold badges3232 silver badges4444 bronze badges
- Ask Different 5.8k 5.8k 1010 gold badges5050 silver badges7676 bronze badges
- Super User 5.5k 5.5k 1010 gold badges4242 silver badges5555 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 565 Can you find all classes in a package using reflection?
- 460 How can I initialise a static Map?
- 417 How to respond with HTTP 400 error in a Spring MVC @ResponseBody method returning String?
- 310 How can I download an entire website?
- 269 Best way to create an empty map in Java
- 265 How to combine two images into one on a Mac?
- 168 How to simplify a null-safe compareTo() implementation?
- View more network posts →