I have spent most of my career in government service, much of it abroad. I have a degree in English Language and Literature from the University of Oxford and the Diploma in English Language Studies from the UK's Open University, and am qualified as a teacher of English to foreign learners. I have studied several other languages including French, German, Latin, Arabic and Old and Middle English.
Elsewhere on the web I have attempted to write in the constrained style of the 'Ouvroir de littérature potentielle' (OULIPO) in Variations on an Incident in Paris and in Variations on Jane Austen. I have also created a full set of 256 Syllogisms by figure and mood and showing which are valid and which are not.
Member for 8 years, 5 months
94 profile views
Last seen Oct 11 '15 at 14:33
- English Language & Usage 132.5k 132.5k 1010 gold badges216216 silver badges368368 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 7.5k 7.5k 1818 silver badges2727 bronze badges
- Linguistics 346 346 11 silver badge77 bronze badges
- German Language 233 233 11 silver badge77 bronze badges
- French Language 213 213 11 silver badge55 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 154 "Two yellow spots on its wings" vs "a yellow spot on both wings"
- 115 "Username", "user name" or "user-name"
- 72 What does "c'tee" mean?
- 70 "It worths it", "it worth it" or "it is worth it"?
- 62 Is "legit" a legitimate word?
- 59 What do we call people who go to the gym?
- 52 "Invite" vs. "invitation"
- View more network posts →