Since dialect stuff comes up a lot on this site, here's a breakdown of my language background:
- As of this writing, I'm 31 years old.
- I grew up in the Inland North American English dialect area, and lived there until I was 28. Specifically:
- I grew up in and around Kalamazoo, Michigan.
- I moved to Cleveland, Ohio, as a teenager (initially for college, but I continued to live and work in the area for several years afterward).
- I now live in the Pacific Northwest of the US. Specifically, I've lived near (and worked in) Seattle, Washington, for (as of this writing) about three years.
- Like most American Jews (and, for that matter, many American non-Jews), I use various words and bits of grammar borrowed from Yiddish. I don't know Yiddish itself, though.
- I was born in Israel, but we moved to the US when I was less than a year old, so this probably doesn't count.
- However, we spoke both English and Hebrew at home growing up, so my spoken Hebrew is not terrible (though I'm told that, for whatever reason, my accent in Hebrew sounds French).
- I can read Hebrew, especially if it has vowels, but — pretty slowly, and I don't understand 100%.
French and Spanish:
- I studied French for several years in high school and college, and Spanish for a few years in college.
- My written French is pretty good, and I can speak OK, but I have some difficulty understanding spoken French spoken at a normal speed.
- My Spanish is terrible. I can understand written Spanish without too much trouble, though, largely because of the high number of cognates with French.
Member for 9 years, 3 months
2 profile views
Last seen Jan 2 '18 at 0:50
- Stack Overflow 153.7k 153.7k 2323 gold badges242242 silver badges279279 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 13.8k 13.8k 11 gold badge4040 silver badges5252 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 4.1k 4.1k 1515 silver badges2525 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 1.6k 1.6k 1515 silver badges2121 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 1.3k 1.3k 11 gold badge1111 silver badges1515 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 1624 Replace one substring for another string in shell script
- 171 Unnecessary curly braces in C++?
- 155 Read tab-separated file line into array
- 154 Regex to match a digit two or four times
- 136 How to join a slice of strings into a single string?
- 129 Repeat last command with "sudo"
- View more network posts →