I'm a retired English grammarian. I enjoy answering questions.
- My Website at the University of Michigan
- Complete Publications and Lectures
- My alt.usage.english English Grammar pages
- Details and handouts from some recent talks
- A term paper about K-12 Language Science
- Two old coursepacks from my Intro Ling class (each ~100 pp)
- Scanned teaching materials from my Etymology class
Top Network Posts
- 119 What's wrong with "I'll open you the door"?
- 80 Why do we refer to computers and other machines as being up or down?
- 75 What is the difference between an Emperor and a King?
- 70 I <verb> and am <rest of sentence>
- 61 Was "book" to "beek" as "foot" is to "feet"?
- 56 Is the mispronunciation of foreign words especially likely in English?
- 52 What kind of noun is 'picture'?
- View more network posts →
Top Tags (15)
32 What the f*** just happened? Dec 5 '13
24 What good reference works on English are available? May 18 '12
19 What good reference works on English are available? May 3 '15
10 2014 Moderator Election Q&A - Question Collection Jun 10 '14
9 Excessive number of fundamental questions May 10 '13
8 What is an “unupvote”? Jun 27 '12
8 What emphasis to use when referring to words? Sep 11 '14