Long term hacker (in the original sense), former hanger-on at the MIT AI Lab. Writer of editors. Compiler of languages. Now professionally a problem solver -- for the last 18 years with a fab-less semiconductor company making systems-on-chip with lots of tasty imaging interfaces, image processing hardware, industry standard real-world connections, all covered by high-protein firmware.
On the side, I've a continued interest in mechatronic systems, machining, welding, CAM, and kids. My wife says it is all a busman's holiday.
I used to mentor a FIRST robotics team (#2349). It was great fun to coach highschool students on engineering problems, project planning, prototyping, and especially teamwork. I sing Barbershop with some truly congenial and talented men as a member of Vocal Revolution. I enjoy an occasional Amateur Radio on-air conversation or contest as K1UZK.
I also do custom woodworking, carvings, and 3D printed spiritualia as Carvings by Carl, which can be found on Etsy.
You can reach me about whatever you like at "first name" dot carvingsbycarl dot com.
Oh! I forgot to introduce myself formally. Hi, I'm Carl.
Member for 2 years, 4 months
0 profile views
Last seen May 30 at 21:43
- 3D Printing 2.5k 2.5k 55 silver badges2222 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 1.3k 1.3k 11 gold badge77 silver badges66 bronze badges
- Worldbuilding 1.2k 1.2k 22 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- Writing 569 569 11 silver badge88 bronze badges
- Retrocomputing 506 506 22 silver badges88 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 120 We're testing advertisements across the network
- 18 Why were chips socketed in early computers?
- 15 Is it unreasonable to change the rules of a quiz/exam one week in advance?
- 13 What should be the ideal length of sentences in a blog post for ease of reading?
- 11 Are external lights on spaceships even necessary?
- 10 Complications of displaced core material?
- 10 Applicants clearly not having the skills they advertise
- View more network posts →
Keeping a low profile.
This user hasn't posted yet.