It's been suggested that I add the following description on my profile. The linked post also probably says more about "me" than I could or would want to say.
Born in the UK, living in N. Italy for too many years, but a frequent visitor to the UK and Ireland.
I like asking questions more than answering, so in no particular order, here are few of my favourite questions
- Is the etymology of "salary" a myth?
- What happened to the “ch” in moschito?
- Did the English call a fruit “openærs” for 700 years?
- Is there an etymological explanation for the silent ‘g’ in “paradigm”?
- SNL's Black Jeopardy: What does "fid'na" mean?
- Where on Earth is "penguin" from?
- Why were slum kids called “urchins”?
Member for 7 years, 11 months
1,759 profile views
Last seen yesterday
- English Language & Usage 82.5k 82.5k 7878 gold badges275275 silver badges526526 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 20.8k 20.8k 1010 gold badges5959 silver badges9797 bronze badges
- Movies & TV 1.2k 1.2k 11 gold badge77 silver badges2424 bronze badges
- Skeptics 897 897 66 silver badges1414 bronze badges
- Writing 739 739 55 silver badges88 bronze badges
- View network profile