It's been suggested that I add the following description on my profile. The linked post also probably says more about "me" than I could or would want to say.
Born in the UK, living in N. Italy for too many years, but a frequent visitor to the UK and Ireland.
I like asking questions more than answering, so in no particular order, here are few of my favourite questions
- Is the etymology of "salary" a myth?
- What happened to the “ch” in moschito?
- Did the English call a fruit “openærs” for 700 years?
- Is there an etymological explanation for the silent ‘g’ in “paradigm”?
- SNL's Black Jeopardy: What does "fid'na" mean?
- Where on Earth is "penguin" from?
- Why were slum kids called “urchins”?
Member for 7 years, 6 months
1,742 profile views
Last seen 13 hours ago
- English Language & Usage 81.9k 81.9k 6969 gold badges269269 silver badges523523 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 21.1k 21.1k 1010 gold badges4242 silver badges8585 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 20.4k 20.4k 99 gold badges5757 silver badges9696 bronze badges
- Movies & TV 1.2k 1.2k 11 gold badge77 silver badges2424 bronze badges
- Skeptics 967 967 55 silver badges1111 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 410 Revisiting the "Hot Network Questions" feature, what are our shared goals for having it?
- 186 Stack Overflow is doing me ongoing harm; it's time to fix it!
- 163 Is that an "r" in "worship" in a text from 1591?
- 146 What is a word for a condition one is born with?
- 126 Does Stack Exchange have a responsibility to protect the rights of their volunteers?
- 100 Firing mods and forced relicensing: is Stack Exchange still interested in cooperating with the community?
- 93 How can we put pressure on Stack Exchange Inc. without damaging the community?
- View more network posts →