It's been suggested that I add the following description on my profile. The linked post also probably says more about "me" than I could or would want to say.
Born in the UK, living in N. Italy for too many years, but a frequent visitor to the UK and Ireland.
I like asking questions more than answering, so in no particular order, here are few of my favourite questions
- Is the etymology of "salary" a myth?
- What happened to the “ch” in moschito?
- Did the English call a fruit “openærs” for 700 years?
- Is there an etymological explanation for the silent ‘g’ in “paradigm”?
- SNL's Black Jeopardy: What does "fid'na" mean?
- Where on Earth is "penguin" from?
- Why were slum kids called “urchins”?
Member for 7 years, 1 month
1,722 profile views
Last seen 5 hours ago
- English Language & Usage 80.5k 80.5k 6666 gold badges261261 silver badges512512 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 20.2k 20.2k 99 gold badges4040 silver badges8383 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 19.5k 19.5k 77 gold badges5757 silver badges9494 bronze badges
- Movies & TV 1.2k 1.2k 11 gold badge77 silver badges2424 bronze badges
- Writing 740 740 44 silver badges77 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 406 Revisiting the "Hot Network Questions" feature, what are our shared goals for having it?
- 177 Stack Overflow is doing me ongoing harm; it's time to fix it!
- 163 Is that an "r" in "worship" in a text from 1591?
- 146 What is a word for a condition one is born with?
- 127 Does Stack Exchange have a responsibility to protect the rights of their volunteers?
- 99 Firing mods and forced relicensing: is Stack Exchange still interested in cooperating with the community?
- 93 How can we put pressure on Stack Exchange Inc. without damaging the community?
- View more network posts →