I've always lived in the UK mostly in various parts of southern England; my own accent is a fairly generic educated English one. I'm not a professional in matters of langauge, in fact I'm a scientist. I'm interested in English from the point of view of academic writing/speaking, also word puzzles, etymology, and the broader relationship of English to other languages.
Any code of mine that I publish anywhere on stackexchange.com I hereby place in the public domain to the extent governable by law. Explicitly, I place it under the CC0. This also applies to documentation/instructions etc.
Opinions I post are mine and mine only unless clearly stated.
Attribution (especially if I say anything clever) is appreciated where reasonable - but specifically not demanded.
Member for 6 years, 7 months
2 profile views
Last seen Sep 24 '19 at 13:56
- Bicycles 31.3k 31.3k 11 gold badge4747 silver badges138138 bronze badges
- Seasoned Advice 27k 27k 11 gold badge5050 silver badges7979 bronze badges
- English Language & Usage 18.8k 18.8k 44 gold badges3535 silver badges7878 bronze badges
- The Great Outdoors 15.1k 15.1k 22 gold badges3636 silver badges6767 bronze badges
- TeX - LaTeX 7.5k 7.5k 22 gold badges2525 silver badges6565 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 170 What's the single-word for "left or right handed"?
- 166 Password management for kids - what's a good way to start?
- 80 Storing passwords in access-restricted Google spreadsheets?
- 78 What is so bad about puns?
- 71 When a recipe asks to add spices to the oil, can you add the spices directly to the sauce for the same effect?
- 67 Is a 13-hour layover at Heathrow enough time to go see Buckingham Palace?
- 62 inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8: not set up for use with LaTeX
- View more network posts →