Native speaker of American English (GenAmE) with a handful of Southernisms but no Piedmontisms (no aboot or hoose):
- cot-caught split
- y'all is perfectly acceptable 2nd person plural, but usually "guys"
- singular they for unknown sex
- pin-pen split... maybe
- Atlanta - /et 'læ nə/ or usually just /'læ nə/
- hundred - halfway between /hun dred/ and /hu nrt/
- firefly/lightning bug
- supper when I was a kid, dinner now
- both mow the lawn/cut the grass
- bathoom for bathroom- I don't know if this is a thing but people used to make fun of my dad for it. I say it that way but find it entirely unremarkable.
ɔnt, ruːf, ruːt/ræʊt, wɑʃ, ɔɪl, 'θɪ ə tər, aɪ ərn, 'sæ mən, kær ə mel, faɪ ər, 'wɑ tər, ʃər, deɪ tə, ru: in, 'kreɪ ɔn, 'nor lenz, pe 'kɑn, boʊθ, ə 'gen, 'prɑ bli:, 'spi tn 'imid͡ʒ, 'æ lə bæ mə, lɔ jər, 'ku: pɔn, meɪ ə neɪz, 'sir ʌp, pə 'd͡ʒa məz, kɔt, 'næ t͡ʃər li:, ə 'lu: mi nəm, en ve loʊp
toilet paper (not TP), potato bug, soda, tennis shoes, y'all/you all, daddylonglegs,nana/pappy/big mother/big daddy, grocery cart, the devil is beating OMG I can't say that, remote
NYT Dialect Quiz Map https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html
- 2 or more people: everyone
- big fast road: highway
- lawyer: both boy and flaw
- circular road intersection: traffic circle (didn't exist as a kid)
- crayon: cray-awn
- large freight vehicle: 18 wheeler as a kid, semi-trailer now
- pajamas: PALM
- sweet spread on cake: frosting (but icing is a particular kind)
- glowing flying insect: both firefly/lighting bug
- grass between sidewalk and road: (nothing) - I still don't recognize these
- caramel: cair - uh - mel
- shoes for gym: tennis shoes
- grass in middle of some streets: median
- sweetened carbonated drink: soda
- large feline: cougar
- drive thru liquor store: don't exist
- cot-caught: different
- sale of unwanted items: yard sale
- aunt: caught vowel
- night before halloween: no word
- small road parallel to highway: no word
- dinner vs supper: dinner more formal
- small gray curl up bug: potato bug
- long sandwich: sub
- easy class: gut
Member for 10 years, 2 months
612 profile views
Last seen yesterday
- English Language & Usage 66.3k 66.3k 2323 gold badges130130 silver badges247247 bronze badges
- Mathematics 7.9k 7.9k 22 gold badges3131 silver badges6666 bronze badges
- Linguistics 4.1k 4.1k 2020 silver badges4040 bronze badges
- Philosophy 3.2k 3.2k 11 gold badge1818 silver badges2929 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 1.9k 1.9k 1515 silver badges2525 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 612 How do you quote a passage that has used '[sic]' mistakenly?
- 219 What is a feminine version of 'guys'?
- 160 What is "ass door"?
- 125 What do you call a disk with a hole in the middle?
- 115 Is it true that English has no future tense?
- 93 Factorial and exponential dual identities
- 93 Is there a saying or proverb for a situation where the weakest party will always lose?
- View more network posts →