Retired Chartered Mgmt Accountant. Have since taken a degree and an MA in history. My MA dissertation concerned late-eighteenth century radical gentry in Norwich, sympathetic to the ideals of the French Revolution, and their clandestine journal The Cabinet. I have no experience of linguistics, and my only language other than English is French, in which I am modestly competent. Norfolk Dumpling by birth and upbringing I have an enduring interest in the dialect and have written a good part of the Wikipaedia entry on that subject. Nowadays I strive to speak Received English (though not always using Received Pronunciation). I live in Berkshire.
Member for 6 years, 9 months
112 profile views
Last seen 17 hours ago
- English Language & Usage 61.1k 61.1k 3737 gold badges134134 silver badges270270 bronze badges
- Politics 6.5k 6.5k 66 gold badges2222 silver badges4040 bronze badges
- History 1.8k 1.8k 1515 silver badges1919 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 1.8k 1.8k 88 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- Sports 181 181 55 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 77 Is it conceivable that President Obama might use the word "queue"?
- 76 Why do US police use handcuffs in otherwise calm, non-violent circumstances?
- 64 Why do US police treat using counterfeit money as an emergency?
- 55 What is less harsh than "brainwashing"?
- 55 Would it save lives in London to arm every individual police officer?
- 53 What do you call a child for whom you act as a guardian / custodian?
- 45 What is the plural of Mrs?
- View more network posts →