Retired Chartered Mgmt Accountant. Have since taken a degree and an MA in history. My MA dissertation concerned late-eighteenth century radical gentry in Norwich, sympathetic to the ideals of the French Revolution, and their clandestine journal The Cabinet. I have no experience of linguistics, and my only language other than English is French, in which I am modestly competent. Norfolk Dumpling by birth and upbringing I have an enduring interest in the dialect and have written a good part of the Wikipaedia entry on that subject. Nowadays I strive to speak Received English (though not always using Received Pronunciation). I live in Berkshire.
Member for 7 years, 10 months
114 profile views
Last seen Nov 26 '20 at 9:14
- English Language & Usage 62.3k 62.3k 3939 gold badges143143 silver badges281281 bronze badges
- Politics 8.3k 8.3k 77 gold badges2828 silver badges4848 bronze badges
- History 1.9k 1.9k 11 gold badge1616 silver badges2020 bronze badges
- English Language Learners 1.8k 1.8k 99 silver badges1010 bronze badges
- Sports 201 201 11 silver badge66 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 79 Why is vote counting made so laborious in the US?
- 78 Why do US police use handcuffs in otherwise calm, non-violent circumstances?
- 78 Is it conceivable that President Obama might use the word "queue"?
- 64 Why do US police treat using counterfeit money as an emergency?
- 57 What is less harsh than "brainwashing"?
- 55 Would it save lives in London to arm every individual police officer?
- 53 What do you call a child for whom you act as a guardian / custodian?
- View more network posts →