My background is in math (BMath; Waterloo) and civil engineering (BASc, MASc; Toronto). As I learned to dislike statistics when I was studying math, fate provided me with the opportunity to do a master's thesis on applying good old-fashioned statistics to hydrology with the goal of finding improved methods of estimating underlying distributions from small samples. Fortunately, this relied heavily on Monte Carlo simulation and I was able to convince myself that it was based on software instead of statistics. I somehow ended up as a software developer working on real time control systems and ancillary applications for the broadcast industry for fifteen years and now work as a project manager for the development of call center software.
Member for 8 years, 8 months
3 profile views
Last seen Oct 14 at 12:20
- English Language & Usage 8.7k 8.7k 22 gold badges2929 silver badges3939 bronze badges
- Software Engineering 6.9k 6.9k 44 gold badges1717 silver badges3333 bronze badges
- Movies & TV 4.4k 4.4k 11 gold badge2323 silver badges3232 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 2.6k 2.6k 11 gold badge1717 silver badges1919 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 2k 2k 11 gold badge1414 silver badges1717 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 462 Leaving intentional bugs in code for testers to find
- 64 Meaning of P.R.S. Aes Triplex in Heinlein's Space Cadet
- 62 What happened to "You're welcome?"
- 51 Why is it always the same type of beer cup used in college-style movies/series?
- 42 Should you write good documentation and clean code to increase the "Bus Factor"?
- 42 What does H/F, M/F and M/W abbreviation in job titles mean?
- 42 Is there a word for "air can pass through it"?
- View more network posts →