My background is in math (BMath; Waterloo) and civil engineering (BASc, MASc; Toronto). As I learned to dislike statistics when I was studying math, fate provided me with the opportunity to do a master's thesis on applying good old-fashioned statistics to hydrology with the goal of finding improved methods of estimating underlying distributions from small samples. Fortunately, this relied heavily on Monte Carlo simulation and I was able to convince myself that it was based on software instead of statistics. I somehow ended up as a software developer working on real time control systems and ancillary applications for the broadcast industry for fifteen years and now work as a project manager for the development of call center software.
- English Language & Usage 9k 9k 22 gold badges3131 silver badges4242 bronze badges
- Software Engineering 7.2k 7.2k 44 gold badges1919 silver badges3434 bronze badges
- Movies & TV 4.9k 4.9k 11 gold badge2525 silver badges3232 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 3.5k 3.5k 11 gold badge2222 silver badges2525 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 2.3k 2.3k 11 gold badge1616 silver badges1818 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 462 Leaving intentional bugs in code for testers to find
- 65 Meaning of P.R.S. Aes Triplex in Heinlein's Space Cadet
- 62 What happened to "You're welcome?"
- 52 Why is it always the same type of beer cup used in college-style movies/series?
- 46 What does H/F, M/F and M/W abbreviation in job titles mean?
- 45 Should you write good documentation and clean code to increase the "Bus Factor"?
- 43 Does this Oat Milk have added sugar?
- View more network posts →